Colby J. Ellis is an Associate. He represents employers in both the private and public sector across many industries. Colby received his Bachelor of Science degree in Political Science and History, summa cum laude, from Florida State University in 2016, and his Juris Doctor degree, cum laude, from the University of Florida Levin College of Law in 2019. During his time in law school, Colby served as President of the Student Bar Association, Executive Articles Editor for the Florida Journal of Law and Public Policy, and a teaching assistant for Legal Writing and Appellate Advocacy. Colby also received the book award for Federal Jurisdiction. Colby worked as a judicial extern for the Honorable Mark E. Walker of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida and as the first Summer Associate for Johnson Jackson PLLC. Colby grew up in Valdosta, Georgia.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member, Young Lawyers Division Committee, Tampa Bay Chapter of the Federal Bar Association, 2020-Present
Publications and Speeches
- Author, COVID-19 Vaccination Mandates in the Employment Context, Florida Bar Health Law Section Updates, March 2021.
- Author, Laying the Foundation for Business Records, Lawyer Magazine (a publication of the Hillsborough County Bar Association), 2020 (Vol. 31, No. 2).
- Author, Eleventh Circuit says “upcoding” and “ramping” are material misrepresentations under the FCA, but failure to create are plans is not, Florida Bar Health Law Section Updates, August 2020.
- Author, EEOC Updates Guidance on Employer Rights in the Workplace for COVID-19 Pandemic, Florida Bar Health Law Section Updates, June 2020.
- Author, Some Health Care Employers May Elect to be Exempt from New Paid Leave Requirements under FFCRA, Florida Bar Health Law Section Updates, April 2020.
- Co-presenter, Do Law Firms Need Those? Creating an Employee Handbook in the Legal Industry, Florida Bar Solo & Small Firm Section Wednesday Wisdom Free CLE, March 2020.